Thursday, September 29, 2011

I had a dream

A dream where my world would be free of an awful, lackluster, boring entertainment center.


Don't get me wrong.  It works for some people.  It did not work for me.  It apparently didn't work for my children either, as my son broke the doors shortly after we got it.  Yay.  Back to the dream.

In this dream, I saw beauty.  A unique individual who would fulfill my entertainment center dreams in a way nothing else could.  And I waited.

And then I met it.  ( I was going to say her, but then that would be even weirder than this already is, and I don't want to lose the 3 people that read this blog, by being too weird.  Even though I think of it as a her.)  It's time you met her too.

Wow, right?  (And please pardon all the angled pictures.  My house is narrow not wide and I just can't get a straight on picture hardly ever).  I knew she had to be mine, but I couldn't justify the $30 on her.  CRAZY, right?  Or was it?  She was at Salvation Army and it was 50% off (the 30 is the half off price).  I told Cameron about this beauty after I came home and he thought I was foolish for not bringing her home.  PS, gotta love a hubster who encourages dreams :)  So I figured if she was still there the next day it was fate and meant to be and I would bring her home.  Obviously I think we know this part of the story.

Here's a few more pictures of her and why I fell in love.



I mean look at the details!!  I had never seen anything like it.  So it came home with me.

Immediately I was picturing white with a fun colored handle to make it pop.  I'm currently loving the white/gray/ neutral colors combos stuff.  And it's only paint, so I can change it up if I need too!

After weeks of work (mostly on waiting for Cameron to help with a couple parts...mind you patience is not one of my virtues).....it's done.  FINISHED!  And I love it.  You wanna see?!




Ignore the toys please :)

I Love this!!  It's so fun!!  So I took the three middle drawers out and made shelves.  This required two trips to home depot because I cheaped out on wood the first time and you could tell, so I went back and had them cut me some better wood.  Worked.  Our next hiccup was drilling the holes in the back of the dresser.  Turns out you need a sharp drill bit thingy to do that.  Who knew.  So back to Home Depot to get one.  We drilled the holes, then I attached the back to the dresser.  THEN we had this problem.

See the problem?  Yeah.  Yucky wood showing and a seam, where we attached the "shelf" to the dresser.  So I got some sweet molding that I thought matched perfect (it did) and Cameron painted it for me (thanks hunny!).  I glued it on today, using painters tape to hold it together till the glue dried!


And now it looks seamless!!  See?

Another picture or two...





A dream come true :)

3 comments:

Ben and Dena said...

TOTALLY PERFECT. I love it. Exactly how I thought it could be- you executed it PERFECTLY! You are awesome.

Unknown said...

I love it! Make one for me!!!

WeAreTheRopers said...

HOLY SHMOLEY! The pictures were worth the wait! Great choice on colors and design, and way to go with the shelving modifications!

I think I need to go make a trip to the thrift store now... if only my husband were on board with supporting my dreams. He's seen too many dreams end up in the garbage, literally.