Friday, October 15, 2010

I love Free!

So a few months ago Cameron and I were at a friends house and their neighbor had a dresser sitting on the curb with a free sign. So I grabbed it (yes I felt a little awkward...but it was free and I needed one!) It is a solid piece, in fantastic condition...just a little hideous. And it wasn't even that bad, just way outdated. But she had such potential! So I brought her home for Kennedi. The kids have been sharing one dresser up till now and it's just not working out so great! So I finally got it done after 2 months sitting in my garage and about 2 1/2 hours of actual work.

Here she is in all her before glory. Cream and Gold. Yum.







So not terrible...but not great! Do you see all the great girlie details though?! So fun. Oh and those "lines" down the side are actually a wave in the dresser drawers. It's cute.

Here she is after.....






Her makeover was done with spray paint! A white primer, followed by a few coats of white spray paint. I had a can of glossy at home, but at the store when I went to get some more they only had semi-glossy, so I just used that first, then put a top coat of the glossy over it, so hopefully it will clean well. And because the previous finish on it was a plastic kind of stuff I didn't have to sand in between coats, it just went on smooth as buttah!

I haven't decided if I want to add some color details...but I decided I'll wait until she gets her own room and decorated and we'll see what it needs then. But so far I love it! And yes, it's still sitting in my office/piano/craft/catch all room...as it has been for 3 days now.

Up next? I need to FINALLY make her crib bumper and blanket. Hopefully it will help her sleep better when she doesn't shove herself up against and through the bars?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Cute! My mom's cousin gave us a similar looking antique set (2 dressers, a desk, and a mirror) and she did a candy apple green trim on it! I love the green--I think Kennedi's would look so cute with pink or purple trim!

Kara keeps untying her bumper I made, so I finally took it down!

Ben and Dena said...

turned out WAY cute Jo-nice work!