Monday, September 15, 2008

(singing...) It's only just begun....

You wonder when it's going to happen. You know it has to happen. You wonder what time, how, how will you react, how bad will it be....all the while hoping it doesn't, but knowing you're fighting fate until it does. Cameron and I feel like we can finally call ourselves parents. Yes people, our first emergency room trip. Okay, so it wasn't as dramatic as I made it sound....but it was your typical head wound, middle of the night, and when you least expected it. Let's go back to when it started.....

Wednesday night, Cameron came home from work around 8:30, threw a dinner together, and we headed upstairs to watch our netflix movie...Singing in the Rain. Which, on a total sidebar, Cameron had never seen before. How do you live 31 years and NOT see Singing in the Rain? I can proudly say I fixed that. Anywho. So we put in the movie, Kai is still awake, so tripped out happy that dad is home. He's jumping on the bed, I'm reminding him for the thousandth time not to jump on the bed. He especially enjoys belly flopping on the bed....he has no fear. So we're belly flopping....by we I mean Kai. I am still tiredly reminding him not to jump, and so he defiantly jumps one more time. He should have quit while he was ahead. He flops, and hit his head on the hope chest at the end of my bed. Let me rephrase that. He whacks his head on the sharp edge of the back of the hope chest at the end of our bed. He jumps up, waits about 4 seconds, starts crying. Cameron and I are posed, ready to see what he hit, how bad it was....no blood, so far so good....wait, did we say no blood? Oh yeah. It starts gushing. Of course, it's a head wound, so why wouldn't it gush? Cameron in a feat of superman-ish speed whisks him into the bathroom, amazingly not getting a single drop of blood on the bed or carpet, until we were into the linoleum bathroom. Also amazingly, it stops bleeding almost immediately. So we try to clean it up, but it is right in his hairline, and in fact, hair is coming out of it, so it's so hard to see how deep it is, if we should worry about taking him to the ER. We debated for about 20, 30 minutes, and decided that we should probably take him, better to be safe than sorry. So we go in, and long story short (okay, short story long, and now probably the most interesting part I'm cutting down), he got 2 staples in his head. Didn't even flinch when she did it....in fact, the doctor looked up at me after the first one, with an incredulous look on her face and was like, seriously...that's it? I was shocked too! He did start crying though (after his Popsicle and Finding Nemo stickers) when we got him off the bed to go home....he freaked out and wanted to keep "riding" the bed! (they had gone up and down with him). So anyways. He finally got to bed about 12:30, and that was that. He's been great so far, and this Saturday Cameron and I get to take out his staples. Should probably prove for another interesting post!

And for those wondering (like my mother-in-law degradingly assumed.. :( ...) I did NOT freak out....I actually was very calm, and we didn't panic and just cleaned him up, drove rationally, no worries. So I guess that answers a few questions! Anywho, sorry for the long post, here's a picture or two :) And they don't look very bad, and it wasn't too bad, but it was pretty deep. So we felt justified!

3 comments:

Charla and Jarom said...

Oh man! I'm dreading our first, well all, of our trips to the ER. I know it's inevitable though, especially with a boy! Glad he's ok, I don't think he'll ever jump on the bed again :)

Ben and Dena said...

I'M THE WORST FRIEND EVER!!! I'm calling you as soon as I get off work!!!! I'm so sorry!!!!

Jolene said...

Well, I wasn't going to say anything Dena....just kidding! I was really just calling to wish Brook a happy birthday :)