Thursday, May 19, 2011

This Is Not A Drill

One of the many thoughts running through my head, as I calmly but briskly walked with my children to the nearest shelter. I couldn't believe half an hour ago, my biggest concern was that we were going to get rained on during the BYU Lacrosse game. When we had arrived at the field, we were relieved to find out there was a weather delay on the game...hopefully it would improve before we had to sit out in the rainy, windy, crazy weather! After using the restroom and checking in with team, we all settled into the car to wait it out.

Just as we start speculating how long it would last, we were startled out of our seats with a warning siren. A LOUD warning siren. It could only mean one thing, but we were all in shock that it could actually be that. There's no way there could be a tornado right here, right now. Everyone in the surrounding cars, step out, and we all start looking at each other. Is that right? Is it what we think it is? Could it be? Then the announcer comes on. "Advertencia: hay un tornado en su área. por favor vaya al refugio más cercano." HUH? Again. "Advertencia: hay un tornado en su área. por favor vaya al refugio más cercano." Are you KIDDING ME?? There was no English on the tornado warning system. I guess I forgot I wasn't in AMERICA. A girl in the car next to us happened to be in AP Spanish and translated for us. Yes, it was a tornado, and yes, it was in our area. I couldn't believe I might have to go through this with my kids right there. What had I brought them into?

We head to the nearest bathroom facility, fervently checking the skies. Sure enough, swirls were happening and they were starting to funnel down. We made it to the bathrooms by the field, and then we were told to go across to the stadium, where the bathrooms were bigger and more likely to be protective. I grab my son's hand, grip my baby on my hip and we start to make our way. I glance down at Kai, and with tears in his eyes he looks up at me and asks what's going on. "It's a tornado warning, son. We have to go get to safety, in case there's a tornado." Meanwhile, my husband was 10 minutes away, heading right for us (and the tornado). Would he get here in time? Would anything happen?

We make it to the shelter, into the bathrooms. Thankfully they were clean and big! We keep glancing out at the clouds, along with hearing the reports that there is a tornado, but it hasn't touched down yet. Cameron calls me, he's here! He makes his way to us, even though they were trying to turn him away saying the shelters were full. And we waited. And waited. And waited some more. After about 30 minutes, the warning was over. We were safe! We could leave!

*****
It was my first time in a tornado warning, and there was something somewhat exciting about it. But knowing my children were there, that they could be in serious danger, seeing the tears in my sons eyes as we rush for safety....knowing my husband is trying to get to us, but can't yet...it was scary. All I could do was pray that we would be taken care of. And even though no real danger was present (so it turned out) it took it's toll on us. Kai slept in our room last night because there was wind and rain, and he was scared a tornado was coming. I have a word or two to say with the people who created the warning, strictly in Spanish. And all Cameron could think was what if something happened and he wasn't there with us? We all had gratitude in our hearts yesterday, and a little more appreciation for all we have.

*****
And yes, later BYU played, and won 14-7! They continue on in the semi-finals Friday. Go BYU!

1 comment:

Ben and Dena said...

So scary!!! I'm glad you're okay!