Monday, March 8, 2010

Day 8

Hey I am caught up! Only to fall back behind, I'm sure. But for now, victory! Sweet victory! Today's project is this:


Oh yes, it was this badly cluttered. (Thus my day 10 goal of organizing the kitchen) My brother-in-law had this butcher block island thingy (technical name) that he gave to me...he had heard I'd been wanting one. So I got this and it sat in the corner of my kitchen for a while. And by a while I mean several months. I had originally wanted to paint the bottom and put a slab of marble on the top to become my baking station. (*side note: Why marble you ask? Well marble stays cooler than room temperature, making it perfect for rolling out doughs, etc). Anywho, back to the marble. Well of course there is not a piece of marble I can just buy at HD that would fit this, so it's looking like it'd be a bit more than I want to pay for. So I decided to stain it. Welp...some ideas are good, some are great, and some just don't work out like you hope.

Before:



Here is where I am at now.




Oh sure, it looks good (not the pictures due to poor garage lighting). But the problem is the stain on the top is not drying. It's because it didn't soak into the wood but stayed on top of the finish that was previously on it. I sanded the top before I stained, but apparently not well enough. So now I have a stain on top, which I LOVE the color of, it's just what I wanted but it's tacky and has had almost 48 hours to dry and it hasn't. Here's where I need your help. What do I do? I don't think I can paint over it, but if I can I will...I can't sand it because it gets all gummied up because of the stain, I've tried that. I just don't know what to do. I'm loving the look and the direction it's going, but just don't know how to salvage the top.

What do you think?

3 comments:

Ben and Dena said...

I ALSO love the direction of this! How CUTE is that! And the stain is the perfect color! Alas, I am no good at that sort of thing. The best suggestion I have is let it sit for 2 weeks and see if it's still wet.... sorry :P

WeAreTheRopers said...

brutal. I'm totally on the case, I'll hunt you down a solution.

(I love the stain too, I'm determined to find a way to make it work!)

Bert and Tiffany said...

Love this, it looks great, my husband does wood working and so I might be able to help you with this but he was asking me questions that I don't know the answer to. So is this a stain or a varnish that you used that won't dry? You can e-mail me or message me on facebook if that is easier!