Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Quote Board

I am pretty excited with how this one turned out! And this is going to be a picture heavy post...sorry!! First, here's the vision I have for my headboard:


And yes, we plan on making this soon, lights and all. I'm pretty excited about it! So with this in mind, I wanted something where the picture is (in the picture!). But I decided I wanted a saying, but not vinyl, more substantial for the space. BUT, I didn't want just any saying that everyone has in their room/house. I wanted something more personal than that. So I went through some of my favorite books and got different quotes out of them. Then gave Cameron a list of 6 to choose from, he narrowed it down to 2 and I picked my favorite one!! Just keepin' it real here people! So once I had the quote I just had to find a nice day to get it started! And here we go! :

From scratch: I drew out the rough sketch that I wanted to cut out of my board. (It is a big piece of plywood for those who care to know!)


Ok, so it's cut out, sanded and dinged up. I just took a hammer to it and beat out some chunks of wood. Therapeutic, but didn't give me the exact look I was going for, so I quit early. Hindsight being what it is, I probably would have kept with it a little longer. That being said, I'm still pleased with how it turned out.


Painted it the cream/white color that I have, and finally...the moment you've not even remembered or cared about, but the white is called Innocence by Behr. So there you go. I love it.



After the white dried, I hand sanded it down around some of the edges and in the middle in some places. Wanted to give it a distressed look. Then I put some of the walnut stain I had from the butcher block project and wiped it on then off. This gave me a completely different look than what I was going for (again, trying to keep it real!) but I ended up liking it, so I went with it. I wiped over the entire board, and over a few times in a few places to get it a little darker. Then I wanted to bring in some green/blue so I took some acrylic paint and wiped it on and off again. It's hard to tell in this picture, but it actually turned out pretty cool.


Next step, the words. This was the part I wasn't sure about! So I got the words typed out in Word and eyeballed the size I thought I'd want to use. I think it was 200 or 220, I can't remember. Printed out the words, cut them out and taped them on the board where I wanted the words.



Then I traced over the words and because it was a soft wood it left an indention where I traced. Then I traced over with a marker the indentions.


Then I painted inside the tracings with craft paint and then after that was dry I cleaned up the edges with the same marker I used to outline. Done and done!



The quote says "Gentle, soft dream, nestling in my arms now, you will fly, too, but kiss me before you go". It's from my favorite part of Jane Eyre, at the end when they are reunited. I love the way it turned out, I just need to buy picture hanging hook things and then I can hang it up! And the best part so far it was all free using stuff I had! I tried really hard to be patient and do it right, and I'm glad I did, it was worth the little extra time and patience!

2 comments:

Ben and Dena said...

Oh I am in total love. How about you make me one and ship it to me... kinda like I'm supposed to be shipping you your diaper bag. It will come, I promise! I'm sorry I'm terrible!

Unknown said...

THat is SO awesome! I am amazed yet again at your craftiness and jealous!! I can't wait to see it all together with the headboard! How do you do this with two babies now? I swear I need to come take lessons from you!!!